Why in news?
- Recent news article stated that a study to facilitate the development of a national gas grid is to be undertaken soon by a U.S. entity for the Petroleum and Natural Gas Regulatory Board (PNGRB).
What are its objectives?
- National Gas Grid intends to create a network of pipeline infrastructure to connect gas sources to major demand centers
- develop City Gas Distribution Network
- Remove regional imbalance in access to natural gas.
- City Gas Distribution (CGD) Network: It is the interconnected network of pipelines to make supply of natural gas to domestic, industrial or commercial premises and CNG stations situated in a specified Geographical Area (GA). CGD networks are being developed based on the availability of trunk gas pipeline connectivity or gas sources and techno commercial feasibility in a GA.
What is the current status of Gas distribution in India?