Introduction: National Fellowship scheme for Scheduled Caste Students,is a Central Sector Scheme introduced during the financial year 2005-06 to provide opportunities to Scheduled Castes students for pursuing higher education leading to M.Phil/Ph.D degrees in Sciences, Humanities and Social Science streams.
- The objective of the scheme is to provide fellowships in the form of financial assistance to students belonging to SC category to pursue higher studies leading to M.Phil/Ph.D in Science, Humanities, Social Science and Engineering and Technology, in Indian Universities/Institutions/Colleges recognized by University Grants Commission (UGC).
Scope of the scheme:
- The scheme provides for new 2000 Fellowships (1500 Junior Research Fellows for Humanities/ Social Sciences and 500 Junior Research Fellows for Science stream) per year to such Scheduled Caste students to undertake advanced studies and research leading to M.Phil/ Ph.D Degrees.
- who have qualified National Eligibility Test- Junior Research Fellowship (NET-JRF) of UGC (for Humanities/ Social Sciences ) or UGC-Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (UGC-CSIR) NET–JRF joint test (for Science stream including Engineering & Technology).
- UGC is the nodal agency for implementing the scheme and is responsible for laying down procedures/ guidelines for implementing the scheme, including selection of beneficiaries and disbursement of fellowships to selected candidates.
- Fellowships shall be awarded to SC candidates for pursuing regular and full time M.Phil./Ph.D. courses in Universities/Research Institutions recognized by UGC. Scheduled Castes candidates who have already secured admission and qualify NET examination will be given preference.
- In case sufficient candidates, who have already secured admission are not available, candidates who have not yet secured admission will also be selected in the order of merit in the NET examination.
Duration of Fellowship:
|Name of the Course||Maximum duration||Admissibility of JRF and SRF|
|M. Phil||2 years||2 Years||Nil|
|Ph.D.||5 years||2 years||Remaining 3 years|
|M.Phil + Ph.D.||5 years||2 years||Remaining 3 years|