Source: PIB & AICTE
National Doctoral Fellowship (NDF) scheme was launched to promote research culture and collaborative research between Institute and Industries leading to start-ups in AICTE institutions.
Key features of the NDF
- A candidate under General and OBC Category must have secured a minimum cumulative grade point average of 7.5 on the scale of 10 or equivalent at both B.E/B.Tech/B.Pharm and M.E/M.Tech/M.Pharm. In terms of percentage, it should be a minimum of 67.5%
- For SC/ST/PwD candidates, minimum CGPA requirement will be 7.0 on the scale of 10 or equivalent or 62.5% marks at both B.E/B.Tech/B.Pharm and M.E/M.Tech/M.Pharm.
- In addition to the above conditions, candidates irrespective of the category to which they belong must have appeared in GATE/GPAT exams in the last six years including GATE 2020 (2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 and 2015 ) and must have a valid GATE/GPAT Score.
- Candidates who do not qualify in GATE/GPAT and not having a GATE/GPAT Score are not eligible to apply to this scheme.
- Candidates studying in the final semester of M.E/M.Tech/M. Pharm are also eligible to apply. In their case CGPA or percentage, the requirement is up to the third semester in case of results published semester wise or up to 1st year in case of results published annually. These candidates must be able to complete their PG programme by July 31, 2020, and must be able to produce their final semester/final year results at the time of admission if selected under this scheme. They must also satisfy the CGPA or Percentage requirements after the completion of their PG programme.
- If the candidates are not able to complete their PG programme by July 31, 2020, or unable to meet the minimum CGPA or percentage requirement after the completion of their PG programme, they will not be considered for admission even if they get selected through the selection process.
- The candidate should be less than 30 years of age as on 31st July of the year of application however age relaxation of 5 years would be applicable to candidates belonging to SC/ST, women and physically challenged category.
Other key features:
- Duration of the Fellowship
- The duration of the Fellowship shall be for a period of 3 Years. No further extension will be granted, however, extendable by 6 months in special cases with the recommendation of Institute and approval of National Nodal Centre. Further extension of 6 months may be given on the recommendations with the approval of AICTE.
- The awardee shall devote full time to research during the tenure of fellowship and will not be permitted to take any part-time/full-time assignment. He/ She will not accept any other salary or fellowship, if offered during the tenure of fellowship through any other source. An undertaking in this regard has to be provided by the awardee.
- Intake of the Fellowship: The total number of candidates selected under this scheme per year would be limited to 363 per year (300 in Govt./Govt. aided institutes and 63 in private institutes). If the seats allotted to the institution remain vacant, these seats will be allotted to the other institutions by the Nodal Centre on the approval of AICTE.
- Reservation Policy: Reservation for fellowship shall be as per Central Reservation Policy i.e. 15% to SC candidates, 7.5% to ST candidates and 27% to OBC candidates (NCL only), 4% for Persons with Disability and will be observed at National level. In addition, EWS not covered under any shall get 10% reservation
- Amount of the Fellowship: The candidate will be provided with the fellowship of Rs. 31,000/- per month + House rent allowance wherever the hostel accommodation/Institute accommodation is not available (as per the rates of Ph.D. Scholarship notified by Ministry of Human Resource Development, Department of Higher Education (Technical Section-I) for the first two years and Rs. 35,0000/- per month + House rent allowance for the third year. Contingency grant will be admissible at the rate of Rs.15,000/- per annum.
- Processing Methodology: Candidates will be identified by the National Nodal Centre of AICTE as per the functions and duties of National Nodal Centre.