Source: Press Information Bureau
Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) under its National Mission on Education through Information and Communication Technology (NMEICT) has initiated the National Digital Library of India (NDL India) pilot project
To collect and collate metadata and provide full-text index from several national and international digital libraries, as well as other relevant sources
- It was initiated by the MHRD to develop a framework of virtual repository of learning resources with a single-window search facility.
- It was launched in 2016 and dedicated to the nation in 2018
- Filtered and federated searching is employed to facilitate focused searching so that learners can find out the right resource with least effort and in minimum time.
- Content of any language: NDL India is designed to hold content of any language and provides interface support for leading Indian languages.
- All academics: It is being arranged to provide support for all academic levels including researchers and life-long learners, all disciplines, all popular form of access devices and differently-abled learners.
- Helpful to students: It is being developed to help students to prepare for entrance and competitive examination, to enable people to learn and prepare from best practices from all over the world and to facilitate researchers to perform inter-linked exploration from multiple sources.
- It is a digital repository containing textbooks, articles, videos, audio-books, lectures, simulations, fiction and all other kinds of learning media.
- The NDLI provides free of cost access to many books in English and the Indian languages.
- The pilot project is devising a framework that is being scaled up with respect to content volume and diversity to serve all levels and disciplines of learners.
- It is being developed at Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur