In news– The National Cyber Security Coordinator has proposed a national cybersecurity strategy to address the gap in the security framework in India’s cyberspace.
National Cyber Coordination Centre (NCCC)-
- It is an operational cybersecurity and e-surveillance agency in India.
- Its purpose is to help the country deal with malicious cyber-activities by acting as an Internet traffic monitoring entity that can fend off domestic or international attacks.
- It is intended to screen communication metadata and co-ordinate the intelligence gathering activities of other agencies.
- It has been set up to generate necessary situational awareness of existing and potential cyber security threats and enable timely information sharing for proactive, preventive and protective actions by individual entities.
- Components of the NCCC include a cybercrime prevention strategy, cybercrime investigation training and review of outdated laws.
- Although NCCC is jurisdictionally under the Ministry of Home Affairs, it coordinates with multiple security and surveillance agencies as well as with CERT-In of the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
Functions of NCCC-
- It acts as India’s first layer for cyber threat monitoring and all communication with government and private service providers would be through this body only.
- It will be in virtual contact with the control room of all Internet service providers (ISPs) to scan traffic within the country, flowing at the point of entry and exit, including international gateway.
- It would also address the threats faced by the computer networks of government departments and organisations handling sensitive government data and important websites.
NCSC and National Security Council (NSC)-
- The National Security Council is an executive government agency tasked with advising the Prime Minister’s Office on matters of national security and strategic interest.
- It was established by the former Prime Minister of India Atal Bihari Vajpayee on 19 November 1998, with Brajesh Mishra as the first National Security Advisor.
- Prior to the formation of the NSC, these activities were overseen by the Principal Secretary to the preceding Prime Minister.
- National Cyber Security Coordinator (NCSC) under the National Security Council Secretariat (NSCS) coordinates with different agencies at the national level for cyber security matters.
Present NCSC is Rajesh Pant.