In News:The Standing Committee of National Board of Wildlife(SC-NBWL) in its 60th meeting held on 05th January has approved the advisory for management of Human-Wildlife Conflict(HWC) in the country.
- National Board for Wild Life is a “Statutory Organization” constituted under the Wildlife Protection Act, 1972.
- Board is “advisory” in nature and advises the Central Government on framing policies and measures for conservation of wildlife in the country.
- Important body because it serves as apex body to review all wildlife-related matters and approve projects in and around national parks and sanctuaries.
- Primary function of the Board is to promote the conservation and development of wildlife and forests. It has power to review all wildlife-related matters and approve projects in and around national parks and sanctuaries.
- No alteration of boundaries in national parks and wildlife sanctuaries can be done without approval of the NBWL.
- The NBWL is chaired by the Prime Minister.
- It has 47 members including the Prime Minister.
- Among these, 19 members are ex-officio members. .
- Other members include three Members of Parliament (two from Lok Sabha and one from Rajya Sabha), five NGOs and 10 eminent ecologists, conservationists and environmentalists.