- Biotechnology deals with the application of biological knowledge and techniques pertaining to molecular, cellular and genetic processes to develop significantly improved products and services.
- Biotechnology products and processes have ensured ease of living, improved health care, agriculture output and created livelihood opportunities, etc. India is ranked amongst the top 12 biotech destinations in the world and ranks 3 rd in Asia.
- The Indian biotech industry is likely to experience significant growth due to increasing economic prosperity, health consciousness and a billion-plus population base. Current estimates value the industry at USD 63 billion in FY2019-20, which is expected to grow to USD150 billion by FY25.
- At present, the biotechnology industry in India comprises >3500 biotech start-ups and is estimated to reach 10,000 by 2024-25.
- To harness the potential of biotechnology as a premier precision tool for national development and well-being of society
- To make India globally competitive in biotechnology research, innovation, translation, entrepreneurship and industrial growth and be a USD 150 billion Bioeconomy by 2025.
Goals and Objectives
- To build and strengthen a strong education, research and translation ecosystem across the country
- To make India a global player for the development and deployment of new and emerging technologies
- To build and nurture a vibrant start-up, entrepreneurial and industrial base in the country, connecting the academia and industry
- To position India as a strong bio-manufacturing hub for innovative, affordable and accessible products for the society and also for global markets .
- Building Capacities – A skilled workforce and strengthened state of the art infrastructure
- UNATI Biotech Missions – aligned with National and Global priorities
- Building a Self-reliant India (Atmanirbhar Bharat) through Biotech Interventions – Affordable and accessible products and technologies
- Leveraging the Strength of Strategic Partnerships – National and International
- Preparing for the Future – Building the knowledge base
- Taking Science to Society – Empowering the Rural sector
- Effective Outreach and Communication – Building the Public Trust
- Global Benchmarking and Performance Measurement – A Measurement matrix to build quality
- Policy enablers