hub for design and development of novel, affordable and effective biopharmaceutical products and solutions. he mission programme is a pan-India programme with the main aim of making India a
Mission of the Program
- Development of product leads that are at advanced stages of the product development lifecycle and relevant to the public health need in vaccine, biosimilar and medical devices & diagnostics
- Establishing and strengthening shared infrastructure facilities for product development and validation. These would be for all products being developed.
- Developing human capital by providing specific training to address the critical skills gap across the product development value chain.
- Creating and enhancing technology transfer and intellectual property management capacities and capabilities.
- The Government has launched Innovate in India (i3) programme to create an enabling ecosystem to promote entrepreneurship and indigenous manufacturing in the sector.
- The mission will be implemented by the Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council (BIRAC).
- The mission was approved in 2017 at a total cost of Rs 1500 crore and is 50% co-funded by World Bank loan.
- It is managed through a dedicated Program Management Unit (PMU) at BIRAC.
- The oversight to the mission activities is provided by the inter-ministerial steering committee chaired by the Secretary-DBT.
- The Technical Advisory Group (TAG) provides approval and reviews scientific progress of its components.
- Further downstream, domain specific Scientific Advisory Groups (SAG), each for the activities/ product development partnerships, are responsible for providing scientific decision making and knowledge and oversight necessary for TAG.