he Mission envisages promoting holistic growth of the bamboo sector by adopting area-based,regionally differentiated strategy and to increase the area under bamboo cultivation and marketing. Bamboo is a versatile group of plants which is capable of providing ecological, economic and livelihood security to the people.
Structure of the Mission
- India has the highest area (13.96 million ha) under bamboo and is the second richest country, after China, in terms of bamboo diversity with 136 species (125 indigenous and 11 exotic).
- The Mission will focus on development of bamboo in limited States where it has social, commercial and economical advantage, particularly in the North Eastern region and other States including Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh, Odisha, Karnataka, Uttarakhand, Bihar, Jharkhand, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Gujarat, Tamil Nadu and Kerala.
- The Executive Committee (EC) headed by Secretary (DAC&FW) will oversee the implementation & monitoring of the mission at national level. It will approve the annual action plan (AAP) of the States and coordinate partnership among various ministries/ departments.
- A State Level Executive Committee (SLEC) headed by the Chief Secretary would be set up to oversee effective implementation of the programme.
- The funding pattern will be 60:40 between Centre and State governments for all States except NE & hilly states, where it would be 90:10 and 100% in case of UTs.
Features of the Mission
- Production of genetically superior planting material of bamboo species with commercial and industrial demand.
- Focus on preservation, processing, product development, and marketing in an integrated manner adopting cluster approach involving inter alia farmers producers organizations and cooperatives.
- Capacity building of the officials, field functionaries, entrepreneurs and farmers through skill development and training will be emphasised.
- Technologies such as information communication technology (ICT), remote sensing and geographic information system (GIS) will be widely used for planning and monitoring purposes.
Components of the Mission
- Research and Development
- Plantation Development
. Establishment of nurseries
. Certified planting material
- Extension, Education and Skill development
- Micro irrigation
- Post harvest storage and treatment facilities
- Promotion and Development of Infrastructure for Bamboo Market
- Export of Bamboo Based Products