- It was established in 2015-16 to support adaptation activities in the States and Union Territories (UTs) of India that are vulnerable to the adverse effects of climate change.
- The projects related to adaptation in sectors such as agriculture, animal husbandry, water, forestry, tourism etc. are eligible for funding under NAFCC.
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) is the National Implementing Entity (NIE) for implementation of adaptation projects under NAFCC.
- Under this arrangement, NABARD would perform roles in facilitating identification of project ideas/concepts from State Action Plan for Climate Change (SAPCC), project formulation, appraisal, sanction, disbursement of funds, monitoring & evaluation and capacity building of stakeholders including State Governments.
- The States/UTs are required to prepare the project proposal in consultation with NABARD.
- Then the project proposals are required to be approved by the State Steering Committee on Climate Change to be eligible for consideration under NAFCC.
NAFCC outcome Framework-
Fund level outcome parameters will consist of the following :
- Reduced key risks and adverse impacts of climate change in water and agriculture sectors
- Maximized multi-sectoral, cross-sectoral benefits/co-benefits to meet the challenges of water and food security
- Human development, poverty alleviation, livelihood security an enhanced awareness of community
- Strengthened institutional & individual capacity to reduce risks associated with climate-induced socioeconomic and environmental losses
- Strengthened awareness and ownership of adaptation and climate risk reduction processes at local level vi. Increased adaptive capacity within relevant development and natural resource sectors
- Increased ecosystem resilience in response to climate change and variability-induced stress
- Diversified and strengthened livelihoods and sources of income for vulnerable people in targeted areas