About National Action Plan for Senior Citizens NAPSrC
- The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment is implementing a National Action Plan for Senior Citizens (NAPSrC).
- It has a component of Integrated Programme for Senior Citizens (IPSr.C) under which grants in aid is given for running and maintenance of, inter alia, Senior Citizens Homes (Old Age Homes) to Implementing Agencies (IAs) such as State Governments/Union Territory Administrations (through Registered Societies)/Panchayati Raj Institutions (PRIs)/Local bodies; Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs)/Voluntary Organizations.
Vision: A country which is committed to protecting, caring and providing for the welfare and wellbeing of its elderly.
Mission: To create an ecosystem where all Indians can age gracefully and live a life of dignity, with focus on concerted and synergised action on the existing and emerging needs of the senior citizens.
Objectives of the Scheme
- Financial Security
- Health Care and Nutrition
- Shelter and Welfare
- Protection of life and property of Senior Citizens
- Active and Productive Ageing with Intergenerational Bonding and Skill Development
- Accessibility, transport and Age friendly environment
- Awareness Generation and Capacity Building
- Promoting Silver Economy: senior friendly industrial goods and services in the society
- Research and Study
- Project Management
Scope and coverage under the scheme
- This scheme shall cover all possible affirmative actions which can be taken for the welfare and well-being of the Senior Citizens in the county enabling each one of them to live a life of dignity.
- Action can be taken under any and each of its 10 developmental objectives and its sub components as stated above.
- The Activities/ schemes/programmes incorporated therein can be implemented either independently by the Government of India, or in collaboration with State Governments and other implementing agencies including voluntary and non-voluntary organisations/ Trusts/ Charitable companies/any public body or organisations having legal status of its own, any other organisation of repute which may be approved by the Secretary, SJE.
Sub Schemes under the umbrella scheme National Action Plan for Senior Citizens (NAPSrC)
Sub-schemes under it, namely:
- Scheme of Integrated Programme for Senior Citizens (IPSrC)
- State Action Plan for Senior Citizens (SAPSrC)
- Convergence with Initiatives of other Ministries/ Departments in Government of India in the field of Senior Citizens welfare.(CWMSrC)
- Media, advocacy, capacity building, research and study, pilots and any other project aimed towards the welfare of the senior citizens and falling under the scope and coverage of the NAPSrC through NISD (NISDSrC)