The President of India presented Nari Shakti Puraskar (Award) for the year 2019 on the occasion of International Women’s Day.
About the Award
Whose initiative is it and why is it given?
- It is an initiative of the Ministry of Women and Child Development to acknowledge the exceptional contribution made by individuals and institutions, to celebrate women as game changers and catalysts of positive change in society.
- These outstanding women have contributed towards safeguarding women’s rights along with pushing the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development Goals.
- These awards are an effort to recognize women as equal partners in the advancement of society.
Eligibility Criteria for Nomination
- It is open to all Indian Institutions, organizations and individuals without any distinction or discrimination on the ground of race, caste or creed.
- In case of Individual category, the awardee must be above 30 years of age on 1st January of the year for which the award is to be given.
- The applicant should have worked in the relevant field for at least the last 5 years. She should not have been a recipient earlier of the award (including Street Shakti Puraskar).
Various categories of the award
- Rani Rudrama Devi Award for Best Panchayat /Village Community
- Mata Jijabai Award for Best Urban Local body for providing services and facilities to women
- Kannagi Devi Award for Best State which has appreciably improved Child Sex Ratio (CSR)
- Rani Gaidinliu Zeliang Award for Best Civil Society Organization (CSO) doing outstanding work for the welfare and well-being of women
- Devi Ahilyabai Holkar Award for Best Private Sector Organization/Public Sector Undertaking in promoting the well-being and welfare of women
- Rani Lakshmibai Award for Best Institution for Research & Development in the field of women empowerment
- Award for Courage & Bravery
- Awards for making outstanding contributions to women’s endeavor/community work/making a difference/women empowerment
The awards for 2019
- The awards for 2019 were conferred on15 eminent women in recognition of their efforts in rendering distinguished services towards the emancipation of women, especially vulnerable and marginalized women.
- The winners of the Nari ShaktiPuraskarfor the year 2019 are from fields as diverse as agriculture, sports, handicrafts, afforestation and wildlife conservation, Armed Forces and education.