Ministry of Women and Child Development has extended the last date for submission of nomination for the prestigious Nari Shakti Puraskar-2020 till 6th February, 2021.
What is Nari Shakti Puraskar?
Nari Shakti Puraskar (formerly Stree Shakti Puraskar), which literally means ‘Woman Power Awards’, are “National Award in recognition of exceptional work for women empowerment” conferred by the Hon’ble President of India( Given by Ministry of Women and Child Development ) every year on 8 th March, the International Women’s Day as a mark of respect and recognition for those who have demonstrated exemplary courage and stellar contribution towards empowerment of women.
More about the Nari Shakti Puruskar
- The awards were instituted in 1999 under the title of Stree Shakti Puraskar and were renamed and reorganised in 2015.
- There are given in six institutional and two individual categories, which carry a cash prize of rupees two-lakh and one-lakh, respectively
- It is awarded to individuals/ groups/ NGOs/ institutions etc. for encouraging women to;
- participate in decision making roles
- women’s skill development in traditional and non-traditional sectors
- facilitating basic amenities for rural women
- promoting women in non-traditional sectors like science and technology, sports, art, culture concretely and for the significant work towards safety and security, health and wellness, education, life skills, respect and dignity of women etc.
- Eligibility criteria: As per the Guidelines, any individual of at least 25 years of age and institutions having worked in the relevant field for at least 5 years are eligible to apply.
- Categories of Awards:
- Rani Rudramma Devi Award for Best Panchayat /Village Community
- Mata Jijabai Award for Best Urban Local body for providing services and facilities to women
- Kannagi Devi Award for Best State which has appreciably improved Child Sex Ratio (CSR)
- Rani Gaidinliu Zeliang Award for Best Civil Society Organization (CSO) doing outstanding work for the welfare and well-being of women
- Devi Ahilyabai Holkar Award for Best Private Sector Organization/Public Sector Undertaking in promoting the well-being and welfare of women
- Rani Lakshmibai Award for Best Institution for Research & Development in the field of women empowerment
- Award for Courage & Bravery
- Awards for making outstanding contributions to women’s endeavour/community work/making a difference/women empowerment
- The Puraskars acknowledge the achievers who have not allowed age, geographical barriers or in accessibility to resources to come in the way of fulfilling their dreams.
- Their indomitable spirit inspires society at large and young Indian minds in particular to break gender stereotypes.
- It encourages them to stand up against gender inequality and discrimination.
- These awards are an effort to recognize women as equal partners in the advancement of society.
The International Women’s Day-March 8
- International Women’s Day is a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women.
- It is a focal point in the movement for women’s rights.
- UN Women announced the theme for International Women’s Day, 8 March 2021 (IWD 2021) as, “Women in leadership: Achieving an equal future in a COVID-19 world.” The theme celebrates the tremendous efforts by women and girls around the world in shaping a more equal future and recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic
- International Women’s Day (IWD) has occurred for well over a century, with the first IWD gathering in 1911 supported by over a million people