In News: 1st bird festival at Nagi- Nakti bird sanctuaries in Bihar to start from Jan 15
Nagi- Nakti Bird Sanctuaries
- Nagi Dam and Nakti Dam are although two different sanctuaries but they can be taken as one bird area due to their closeness.
- These sanctuaries are a home to a wide variety of indigenous species and migratory birds that turn up during the winters from places like Eurasia, Central Asia, the Arctic Circle, Russia and Northern China.
- Over 136 species of birds have been spotted at these sanctuaries. Not just that, around 1,600 bar-headed geese, which is about 3% of the global population of this variety, have been seen here, as per a report of the Wetlands International
- Birdlife International, a global body, has held the Nagi Dam Bird Sanctuary to be globally important for conservation of birds’ population and has declared it as an important bird area.
- Apart from the dense deciduous forests, moram land and variety of birds and animals, there’s unique rock formation, or in Jamui area. In our country, this rock formation is available only in Hampi in Karnataka
Who is BirdLife International?
- BirdLife International is a global partnership of conservation organisations (NGOs) that strives to conserve birds, their habitats and global biodiversity, working with people towards sustainability in the use of natural resources.
- Together we are over 100 BirdLife Partners worldwide – one per country or territory – and growing.
- BirdLife is widely recognised as the world leader in bird conservation. Rigorous science informed by practical feedback from projects on the ground in important sites and habitats enables us to implement successful conservation programmes for birds and all nature.
How does BirdLife International work?
- Each BirdLife Partner is an independent environmental or wildlife not-for-profit, non-governmental organisation (NGO).
- Most Partners are best known outside of the Partnership by their organisation’s name. This allows each Partner to maintain its individual national identity within the Global Partnership.
- BirdLife Partners work together in a collaborative, coordinated fashion across national boundaries to build a global Partnership of national conservation organisations.
- The BirdLife partnership has 6 Regional BirdLife Coordination Offices throughout the world and a Global Office in Cambridge, UK .