Source: PIB & MIHAN portal
- The Multi-Modal International Cargo Hub and Airport at Nagpur (MIHAN) is the flagship project of Maharashtra Airport Development Company Limited (MADC)
- In order to remove the regional disparity in the state, Govt. of Maharashtra has decided to develop a composite project called ‘Multi-Model International Passenger and Cargo Hub Airport at Nagpur’ (MIHAN).
- The project comprises of developing the existing domestic airport of Nagpur as an international passenger and cargo hub airport, along with a huge Special Economic Zone (SEZ), which is abutting to the boundary of the airport.
- SEZ (Special Economic Zone) :
- Just abutting to the boundary of this airport, MADC is developing a huge SEZ on an area of more than 2,000 Hectares, which is supposed to house various export-oriented units like I.T. industries, gems and jewellery, garments, electronic goods, pharmaceuticals, processed foods and any other type of industries.
- It is proposed to have a huge road terminal having facilities for parking of about 900 trucks at a time, huge warehouse, open stockyard, cold storage, etc. and by the side of this road terminal, there is a proposed rail terminal capable of handling 2 trains at a time.
- Thus, MIHAN is a composite project of airport, road terminal, rail terminal, SEZ and various other allied services like housing, health city, international school and many more.
- MIHAN is the country’s first Multi-product special economic zone (SEZ) which is adjacent to an existing international airport