What is MCPC?
- Is a Recording cum Counseling Card for pregnant & postpartum women and under-five children Will gradually replace Immunization Card Developed Jointly by MWCD, MHFW, with support from UNICEF & NIPPCD
- Originally used by ICDS in some states, now adopted by NRHM/RCH State has made few alterations like adding a counterfoil
Why the card?
- For record-keeping of services provided during pregnancy, postpartum period and childhood
- Tool for families to learn, understand and follow positive practices for achieving good health of pregnant women, young mothers and children.
- Helps families to know about various types of services which they need to access for the health and well being of women and children.
- Empowers families to make decisions for improved health and nutritional status and development of young children on a continual basis.
Who uses the card?
- Family members (Mothers, Fathers, Mother-in-laws, Adolescent girls and others) – gaining knowledge, using available services, practicing optimal health behaviour, monitoring growth of children Village groups/Women (Mahila Mandal) groups – Discussion tool.
- Monitoring effective service delivery ANM / AWW – educating families; recording information and appropriate referral Health and ICDS Supervisors – ensure cards are introduced to targeted families.
- Use properly explained to families and ensure effective and efficient delivery of services
Specific target groups
- Pregnant women.
- Lactating women.
- Families with children under 3 years of age, extending up to 16 years for immunization.
Who keeps the card?
- Pregnant woman/her family.
- Mothers/parents of children under 3 years of age.
- Immunization Counterfoil to be retained by ANM.