modernisation and up-gradation of facilities as also new infrastructure creation by defence PSUs and OFB he Ministry of Defence has launched the initiatives of a number ofas part of the Atma Nirbhar Week celebration. Defence industry has always been the forerunner of cutting-edge technologies world across and hence self-reliance in defence is a tall task which needs whole hearted involvement of all to be fruitful.
Initiatives for Modernization/ Upgradation
- Under upgradation of facilities, Pinaka Rocket Complex at Ordnance Factory Chanda has launched upgradation of facilities to meet the enhanced requirement of Pinaka and other rockets as well as the assembly and testing facility for SRCG at OF, Trichy all of which are critical requirements towards defence preparedness. Modernization of facilities at OLF Dehradun will serve the purpose of manufacturing high-end optoelectronic products for T-90 tanks.
- BEL has launched a fully indigenised Maareech Integration facility for manufacturing, integration and testing of Anti Torpedo Defence System Maareech which has been designed by DRDO.
- BEML has set up Industrial Design Centre at Bengaluru as part of its new infrastructure creation. The Centre is first of its kind in India, focusing on implementing factors of industrial design & human factors as a part of developmental strategies for setting the global benchmarking in industrial design and ergonomics in products. It is proposed to develop this facility further as a national facility and would be offered to the industry in the next stage.
- Under modernisation of facilities, GRSE has enhanced the capability at its Raja Bagan Dockyard to meet the production requirement for the ongoing prestigious P17A project.
- New infrastructure has been created in the defence sector in the shape of foundation laying of Seeker Facility Center (SFC) at BDL, a new modular facility for manufacturing of Missile System (RF Seeker) that will reduce import dependence for seekers and foundation laying for Warheads Production Facility at BDL for manufacturing and testing of indigenously developed warheads required for Konkurs-M, Invar, Akash, Astra missiles etc. The facility being modular will cater to all futuristic missile warheads with incremental modifications.
- A new state of art Steel Preparation Shop (SPS) at GSL has been inaugurated that will enable indigenous construction of high technology Glass Reinforced Plastic (GRP) hull MCMVs along with other supporting infrastructure for the country.
- MIDHANI under its corporate social responsibility & sustainable development policy has set up a state-of-the-art skill development center and christened it as “Center of Excellence – Special Materials”. This facility will primarily focus on promoting applied research for the development of special materials used in aerospace, defence, nuclear, space and other strategic areas.