In news– The Union Home Ministry has asked states to step up modernize prisons ahead of framing rules for the recently passed Criminal Procedure (Identification) law.
About the Project-
- The duration of the project is for five years – 2021-26.
- The Central Government will provide Grant in aid to States and UTs for implementation of the project.
- MHA shall provide funds to States/UTs depending upon the number of prisons in a State/UT, number of prison inmates, jail staff, etc.
- The proposal of funding will be decided by the Steering Committee constituted for implementation of the modernization of prisons project.
- The project will cover all States and Union Territories and shall broadly cover the following prison types-
- Central Jails.
- District Jails.
- Women Jails.
- Open Jails.
- Special Jails etc…
- States/UTs shall be responsible for managing the operations of the Modernisation of Prisons project at State/UT level.
- Filling the existing gaps in security infrastructure of jails.
- Providing new security equipment to jails in line with modern day technologies .
- Strengthening the jail security system through security equipment like Door Frame/ Metal Detectors/ Security Poles, Baggage Scanners/ Frisking/ Search/ Jamming Solutions etc.
- Focus on correctional administration, which includes bringing attitudinal change in the mindset of prison officials handling inmates, through extensive training and by introducing appropriate programs for inmates for their skill development and rehabilitation, including engagement of trained correctional experts, behavioural experts, psychologists, etc.
- Video Conference Infrastructure.
- Body worn cameras.
- Door Frame/ Metal Detectors/ Security Poles etc.
- Baqqaqe Scanners/ Frisking/ Search/ Jamming Solutions.
- Correctional programmes including counselling/ therapies/ vocational training etc.