Recently, the Mission Olympic Cell has approved a one-month training camp in the U.S.A for wrestler Bajrang Punia.
What is Mission Olympic Cell?
- Mission Olympic Cell is a body set up by the Sports Authority of India to select athletes who are to get assistance under the Target Olympic Podium Scheme.
- The MOC is under the Chairmanship of the Director General, Sports Authority (DG, SAI).
- The Committee meetings are attended by representatives of respective National Sports Federations (NSFs) and Project Officers of the SAI besides other members.
- The idea of the MOC is to debate, discuss and decide the processes and methods so that the athlete receives best assistance.
- The MOC also focuses on selection, exclusion and retention of athletes, coaches, training institutes that can receive TOPS assistance.
Functions of MOC
Some of the functions that the MOC are enumerated below –
- To approve customized programs for athletes chosen under the TOP Scheme.
- To recommend financial disbursement for the customized programs.
- To support, monitor and review progress of athletes in accordance with the training programs.
- To set a regular reporting structure on the athletes’ training program.
- To take decisions on sudden and unanticipated requirements/needs of athletes.
- To communicate regularly with the athletes on their progress, requirements and perspectives.
- To engage implementation partner agencies to carry out/execute any or all the above functions.
- To ensure documentation/contractual obligations of beneficiaries.
- To deliver sponsor/commercial partner/media commitment under the NSDF TOP Scheme
Target Olympic Podium Scheme(TOP)
- It is a flagship program of the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports which is an attempt to provide assistance to India’s top athletes.
- The Scheme looks to add a premium to the preparations of these athletes so that they can win Olympic medals in 2020 and 2024 Olympics.
- Under the Scheme, the Department of Sports shall identify athletes who are potential medal winners in the 2020 / 2024 Olympics.
- The idea of the Scheme is to also keep an eye in the future and fund a Developmental Group of Athletes who are medal prospects for the Olympic Games in Paris in 2024 and Los Angeles Games in 2028.