In news : Recently, emphasized the need to strengthen the collective efforts towards more significant Mission Innovation 2.0 and wished MI fraternity all success in its new phase and new endeavours.
Key updates on Mission Innovation 2.0
- Recently, the MI members agreed upon next steps on the road to MI 2.0
- Following a unanimous decision by Ministers at MI-5 in September 2020 to develop an ambitious second phase of the initiative, this meeting was a crucial milestone and decision-making point on the way to the launch of MI 2.0 at the 6th MI Ministerial (MI-6) this yea
- Mission Innovation 2.0 will play an important part. Members discussed and prioritised the first topics for Missions: global public-private alliances to accelerate tipping points for proven, affordable and scalable clean energy solutions.
About Mission Innovation
- It is a global initiative working to accelerate clean energy innovation.
- It is a global initiative of 24 countries and the European Commission (on behalf of the European Union
- Launch: MI was announced at COP21 on November 30, 2015, as world leaders came together in Paris to commit to ambitious efforts to combat climate change.
- It was announced by Bill Gates at COP21 on 30 November 2015, on stage with President Obama of the United States, President Hollande of France and Prime Minister Modi of India
Goal of MI
In support of economic growth, energy access and security, and an urgent and lasting global response to climate change, Its mission is to accelerate the pace of clean energy innovation to achieve performance breakthroughs and cost reductions to provide widely affordable and reliable clean energy solutions that will revolutionize energy systems throughout the world over the next two decades and beyond.
Innovation Challenges (ICs) are global calls to action aimed at accelerating research, development and demonstration (RD&D) in technology areas that could provide significant benefits in reducing greenhouse gas emissions, increasing energy security and creating new opportunities for clean economic growth.
Previous events of MI
- 1st Mission Innovation Ministerial (MI Ministerial) was held in San Francisco, California, on June 1 – 2, 2016
- The People’s Republic of China hosted the Second Mission Innovation Ministerial (MI-2) on 6–8 June 2017 at the China National Convention Center in Beijing.
- It was held in Copenhagen in 2018
- Vancouver, Canada hosted Mission Innovation’s fourth annual Ministerial gathering (MI-4) on May 28, 2019.
- Saudi Arabia hosted a virtual MI-5 on Wednesday, 23 September 2020,
- MI-6 will be held in Chile in 2021