In News: Mission Indradhanush 3.0 To Focus On Children, Women Who Missed Vaccine During Covid.
About Mission Indradhanush
- The Government of India is committed to improve immunization coverage and achieve full immunization coverage of 90 percent.
- This Mission was launched in December 2014 with the aim of fully immunizing unvaccinated or partially vaccinated children under UIP.
- The scheme targets children aged under 2 years and pregnant women for immunization.
- The mission incorporated immunization programme against 12 Vaccine-Preventable Diseases (VPD) namely, Whooping cough, diphtheria, polio, tetanus, meningitis, tuberculosis, hepatitis B, pneumonia, Haemophilus influenzae type B infections, rotavirus vaccine, Japanese encephalitis (JE), measles-rubella (MR) and pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV).
- Launch of massive routine immunization campaigns, such as Mission Indradhanush (MI) and Intensified Mission Indradhanush (IMI), in part, reflects the government’s efforts under the Universal Immunization Program to reduce child mortality and morbidity.
Intensified Mission Indradhanush (IMI):
To further intensify the immunization programme, the government launched the Intensified Mission Indradhanush (IMI) on October 8, 2017.
- Through this programme, Government of India aims to reach each and every child up to two years of age and all those pregnant women who have been left uncovered under the routine immunisation programme/UIP.
- Intensified Mission Indradhanush will cover low performing areas in the selected districts (high priority districts) and urban areas. Special attention will be given to unserved/low coverage pockets in sub-centre and urban slums with migratory population.
About Intensified Mission Indradhanush 3.0
- The mission will be conducted in two rounds.
- The first round will start from February 22, 2021 while the second phase will start from March 22, 2021.
- It will run across 250 districts or urban areas across the 29 States or Union Territories.
- Launched the awareness material or IEC package developed under the campaign
- The IMI 3.0 initiative was launched by the central government in order to provide immunization to the pregnant women and children free of cost in India.
- The scheme will strengthen and re-energize immunization programmes.
- It will help in achieving full immunization coverage for children and pregnant women rapidly.
- This mission also aims to reach the unreached population. It will reach to them with all the available vaccines under the Universal Immunisation Programme (UIP).
- An IMI 3.0 Portal has been designed to manage the data reporting and analysis.
- To update the activities of the ministries/departments and will capture pre-campaign activities, during activity achievements, and post campaign indicators with indicators on immunization coverage and of the line ministries.