Source: Kurukshetra Magazine
Mission for Integrated Development of Horticulture (MIDH) Mission for Integrated Development of Horticulture (MIDH) is a Centrally Sponsored Scheme for the holistic growth of the horticulture sector covering fruits, vegetables, root & tuber crops, mushrooms, spices, flowers, aromatic plants, coconut, cashew, cocoa, and bamboo.
Main objectives of the Mission are:
- Promote holistic growth of horticulture sector, including bamboo and coconut through area based regionally differentiated strategies, which includes research, technology promotion, extension, post-harvest management, processing, and marketing, in consonance with comparative advantage of each State/region and its diverse agro-climatic features
- Encourage aggregation of farmers into farmer groups like FIGs/FPOs and FPCs to bring the economy of scale and scope.
- Enhance horticulture production, augment farmers, income and strengthen nutritional security;
- Improve productivity by way of quality germplasm, planting material and water use efficiency through Micro Irrigation.
- Support skill development and create employment generation opportunities for rural youth in horticulture and post-harvest management, especially in the cold chain sector.
Sub schemes of the Mission
|SL. No.||Sub Scheme||Target group/ area of operation|
|1||National Horticulture Mission (NHM)||All states & UTs except states in NE and Himalayan Region.|
|2||Horticulture Mission for North East & Himalayan States (HMNEH)||All states in NE and Himalayan Region.|
|3||National Horticulture Board (NHB)||All states & UTs focusing on commercial horticulture|
|4||Coconut Development Board (CDB)||All States and UTs where coconut is grown.|
|5||Central Institute for Horticulture (CIH)||NE states, focusing on HRD and capacity building|
- While the Government of India (GOI) contributes 85% of the total outlay for developmental programmes in all the states except the states in North East and the Himalayas, 15% share is contributed by State Governments.
- In the case of the North-Eastern States and the Himalayan States, GOI contribution is 100%.
- Similarly, for the development of bamboo and programmes of National Horticulture Board (NHB), Coconut Development Board (CDB), Central Institute for Horticulture (CIH), Nagaland and the National Level Agencies (NLA), GOI contribution will be 100%.