Source: Press Information Bureau
The National Mission for Empowerment of Women (NMEW) was operationalised during 2011-12 with the aim of achieving holistic empowerment of women. The focus was to bring convergence of efforts through inter-sectoral coordination amongst different ministries and programmes, with the Ministry of Women and Child Development (MWCD) acting as the nodal agency.
Following the restructuring during the 12th Plan period, NMEW was approved for continuation as a sub-scheme of the Umbrella Scheme for Protection and Development of Women. Under the revised Scheme, technical support to MWCD is being provided by domain experts who are involved in the implementation and monitoring of new initiatives of the Ministry like Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP Scheme), One Stop Centres, Women Helpline etc. and also facilitates convergence of schemes/programmes of different Ministries/Departments with focus on women.
- The objective of NMEW is to strengthen the processes that promote holistic development of women, gender equality and gender justice through inter-sectoral convergence of programmes impacting women, forging synergy amongst various stakeholders and creating an enabling environment conducive to social change.
- It will also strive to integrate gender concerns into the training curriculum of the training institutes (administrative, academic, police, legal, health, skill development, rural development etc.) as well as prepare training modules for functionaries at various levels.
- It would also undertake research, evaluation and reviews of programmes and legislation, gender audit and outcome assessment to build evidence for policy intervention and programmatic reform.
NMEW would also focus on Training and Capacity Building to enhance and strengthen understanding of gender issues, and build a Resource Pool (trainers) at the National and State level to bridge gaps between knowledge and practice. At the national level, experts would be engaged in the area of:
- Poverty alleviation and economic empowerment
- Health and nutrition
- Gender budgeting and Gender mainstreaming
- Gender rights, gender based violence and law enforcement
- Empowerment of vulnerable and marginalised groups
- Social empowerment and education
- Media and advocacy
- Information technology