Source: PIB & MIDHANI
Recently the Defence Minister reviewed the performance of Mishra Dhatu Nigam Limited (MIDHANI)
- It was established in the year 1973 under the Ministry of Defence as Government of India Enterprise.
- The production unit of MIDHANI, located at Kanchanbagh, Hyderabad, was commissioned in the year 1982.
- MIDHANI has been set up with a view to achieve self-reliance in production and supply of various super alloys, special steels, materials to Defence, other Strategic Sectors for Nuclear, aeronautical and Space applications.
- The guiding factors for setting up of MIDHANI were the demand for Defence oriented technologies, which come under the national priorities.
- Import substitution of high-pressure discs for the compressor of Adour MK 811 engines for Jaguar fighter plane and 74 kg titanium casting for naval application are some of the prominent achievements.
Contribution of MIDHANI to Indian defence
Presently, more than seventy percent of MIDHANI’s products (value-wise) cater to strategic customers viz.
- Ordnance Factory Board (OFB)
- Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO)
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)
- Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. (HAL), and
- Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) etc.
In addition, MIDHANI also supplies special alloys and products to the commercial sector including Larsen & Toubro, BHEL, Titanium equipment etc.
Core products of MIDHANI of MIDHANI
Over the past four decades, MIDHANI has successfully achieved its goal for which it was set up. With the advancement in technology within India and abroad, materials such as superalloys, titanium alloys and special steels, which are the core products of MIDHANI and its applications as well, have witnessed incremental demands.