ince the initiatives of the Ministry of Tribal Affairs and objectives of DAY-NRLM deeply complement each other, the Ministries have decided to come together to improve the economic opportunities available to tribal women. To take this convergence initiative forward, the series of activities will be carried out by both the Ministries to synergize the efforts to fetch tangible results.
Joint Communication to Promote Sustainable Livelihood for Tribal Women
- The Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana:
National Rural Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NRLM) implemented by the Ministry of Rural Development has built an extensive network of women-led Self-Help Groups (SHGs) in India, including 8.9 lakh ST SHGs. The programme provides institutional support, livelihood services, access to credit and market through its SHGs.
Similarly, the Ministry of Tribal Affairs provides grants to the States based on prefixed criteria through a number of initiatives such as Special Central Assistance to Tribal Sub-Schemes (SCA to TSS), Grant-in-Aid under proviso to Article 275 (1) of Constitution to the States having notified STs, development of Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTGs) to the States / UTs having notified PVTGs.
- Activities by Ministry of Rural Development will include:
- identification and mapping of tribal women SHG members and their individual livelihood assets;
- mapping of common tribal community assets;
- development of comprehensive proposal for the economic development of PVTGs through the strengthening of their traditional livelihood and occupations;
- assistance of SHGs to identify tribal households for enrolment under Van Dhan Yojana;
- capacity building and credit access support to tribal communities through SHGs.
- Activities by Ministry of Tribal Affairs will include:
- planning support to SRLM to finalize the State Annual Action Plan and inclusion of the plan in its Livelihood Annual Action Plan;
- promotion of livelihood opportunities among women identified by SRLM through avenues such as mess management, outsourcing works of EMRS schools like housekeeping, cleaning and other activities in the EMRSs and ashram schools;
- augmenting the creation of individual as well as common livelihood assets as per beneficiaries identified by SRLM;
- inclusion of tribal SHGs/ PG with majority of members from tribal households in Van Dhan Yojana and providing marketing support to products from SHGs through its marketing network.