Recently, DRDO achieved a major milestone today with the maiden launch of Medium Range Surface to Air Missile (MRSAM)
About Medium Range Surface to Air Missile (MRSAM)
- Army version of MRSAM is a surface to Air Missile developed jointly by DRDO, India and Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI), Israel for use by the Indian Army.
- Established in 1953 as Bedek Aviation Company – a governmental institute for aviation – Israel Aerospace Industries started out as an all-purpose service and supplies provider, specializing in air defense solutions
- MRSAM Army weapon system comprises Command post, Multi-Function Radar and Mobile Launcher system.
- MRSAM is a high response, quick reaction, vertically launched supersonic missile, designed to neutralize enemy aerial threats – missiles, aircraft, guided bombs, helicopters.
- It is used by the Army, Navy and Air Force as different variants.
- A contract for the MRSAM programme was signed in February 2009
How does a surface-to-air missile (SAM) work?
It is a missile designed to be launched from the ground to destroy aircraft or other missiles. It is one type of anti-aircraft system
List of the surface to air missiles in India
- Akash Mk2
- Barak 8
DRDO’s pursuit of self-reliance and successful indigenous development and production of strategic systems and platforms such as Agni and Prithvi series of missiles; light combat aircraft, Tejas; multi-barrel rocket launcher, Pinaka; air defence system, Akash; a wide range of radars and electronic warfare systems; etc., have given quantum jump to India’s military might, generating effective deterrence and providing crucial leverage.