In news: Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) has identified 30 industries to modify nitrogen plants for the production of medical oxygen.
More about it-
- CPCB with the help of State Pollution Control Boards (SPCBs) have identified such potential industries.
- Some of these plants can be shifted to nearby hospitals for supplying oxygen and some plants, where it is not feasible to shift, can produce oxygen on-site and compressed and filled in cylinders/special vessels using high pressure compressors for transportation.
- In the existing nitrogen plants, replacing Carbon Molecular Sieve (CMS) with Zeolite Molecular Sieve (ZMS) and few other changes such as installation of oxygen analyzer, change in control panel system etc.. oxygen for medical use can be produced.
- With the availability of ZMS, such modified plant can be set-up in 4-5 days while installation of new oxygen plants may take minimum 3-4 weeks.
- Recently, M/s UPL Ltd converted one 50 Nm3/hr capacity Nitrogen plant to produce oxygen using Zeolite Molecular Sieve, and installed it at L G Rotary Hospital, Vapi(Gujarat).
- It is also under process of conversion of three more plants and on conversion to oxygen plants, these will be installed at hospitals in Surat and Ankaleshwar.