The Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry & Dairying launched an online course mobile app ‘Matsya setu’ for aqua farmers.
About Matsya setu app
- The app was developed by the ICAR-Central Institute of Freshwater Aquaculture (ICAR-CIFA), Bhubaneswar, with the funding support of the National Fisheries Development Board (NFDB), Hyderabad.
- The online course app aims to disseminate the latest freshwater aquaculture technologies to the aqua farmers of the country.
Courses under the app
- Matsya Setu app has species-wise/ subject-wise self-learning online course modules.
- Under this app renowned aquaculture experts explain the basic concepts and practical demonstrations on breeding, seed production and grow-out culture of commercially important fishes like carp, catfish, scampi, murrel, ornamental fish, pearl farming etc.
- Better Management Practices to be followed in maintaining the soil & water quality, feeding and health management in aquaculture operations were also provided in the course platform.
- The modules are divided into small video chapters for the convenience of the learners, along with additional learning materials.
- In order to motivate the learners and provide a lively learning experience, Quiz/Test options were also provided for self-assessment.
- Upon successful completion of each course module, an e-Certificate can be auto-generated. Farmers can also ask their doubts through the app and get specific advisories from experts.
- The app will be helpful for the farmers to learn the advancements in the technologies and Better Management Practices at their convenience.
- Learning the advanced technologies will certainly influence the adoption of scientific methods in fish farming; hence the productivity will be enhanced, and the income will be improved.
This app can also be an important tool to disseminate the latest information on different schemes among the stakeholders, especially fishers, fish farmers, youth and entrepreneurs across the country, assist them and facilitate ease of doing business.
ICAR-Central Institute of Freshwater Aquaculture(CIFA)
- CIFA is a premier research Institute on freshwater aquaculture in the country under the aegis of the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), New Delhi.
- The present Institute has had its beginnings in the Pond Culture Division of Central Inland Fisheries Research Institute (CIFRI) established at Cuttack, Orissa in 1949.
- The Centre gradually developed into its full capacity and became an independent Institute during 1987 as Central Institute of Freshwater Aquaculture (CIFA).
- It is also the Lead Centre on ‘Carp Farming in India’ under Network of Aquaculture Centres in Asia-Pacific (NACA) operative under Food and Agriculture Organisation of United Nation (FAO).
- Basic and strategic research for the development of sustainable culture systems for freshwater finfish and shellfish.
- Species and systems diversification in freshwater aquaculture.
- Human Resource Development through training, education and extension.