In news– National Monuments Authority observed the Martyrdom Day of the great warrior Baba Banda Singh Bahadurat Red Fort in New Delhi on 25th June, 2022 (according to Indian Calendar).
A brief note on Baba Banda Singh Bahadur-
- He was a great Sikh warrior and a commander of the Khalsa army who defeated the Mughals and freed a large part of North India.
- Banda Singh Bahadur was also called Lachman Das, Lachman Dev, or Madho Das.
- He established the Khalsa rule in Punjab.
- He also abolished the Zamindari system, and granted property rights to the tillers of the land.
- He was a Noble ruler who introduced the Nanak Shahi coins.
- He was captured by Mughal ruler Farrukhsiyar and brought to Delhi and put to death.
- Red fort, New Delhi is the place from where the mughals gave firman for his killing.
- He was executed with 18 companions near a gate en route to the tomb of so-called Sufi saint Qutub-ud-din Bakhtiar Kaki at Mehrauli on June 9th, 1716, in a cruel manner.
- This monument, which is still standing in the area, is an icon of his martyrdom, bravery and deep-rooted faith.
- He was a great and true disciple of Guru Govind Singh Ji Sahib.
National Monuments Authority-
- It comes under the Ministry of Culture, Govt. of India.
- It was set up as per provisions of The Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Sites and Remains AMASR (Amendment and Validation) Act, 2010.
- The Act provides for NMA to be constituted with a Chairperson and up to 5 Whole Time and 5 Part-time Members each and a Member Secretary.
Functions of NMA-
- Make recommendations to the Central Government for grading and classifying protected monuments and protected areas declared as of national importance under Sections 3 and 4, before the commencement of the AMASR Act, 2010.
- Make recommendations to the Central Government for grading and classifying protected monuments and protected areas which may be declared after the commencement of the AMASRAct, 2010, as of national importance under section 4.
- To consider the impact of large-scale development projects, including public projects and projects essential to the public which may be proposed in the regulated areas and make recommendations in respect thereof to the competent authority.
- To recommend actions to the competent authority for grant of permission.