Recently the Union Minister of Food Processing Industries launched the– Market Intelligence and Early Warning System (MIEWS) Web Portal.
Handling of Glut situation
As per the terms of the OG Scheme, during a glut situation, evacuation of surplus production from producing areas to consumption centres will be undertaken as determined by the following:
- When the prices fall below preceding 3 years’ average market price at the time of harvest
- When the prices fall more than 50% compared to last year’s market price at the time of harvest
- When the prices fall less than the benchmark, if any, fixed by the State / Central Government for a specified period.
The MIEWS system is designed to provide advisories to farmers to avoid cyclical production as well as an early warning in situations of gluts. For decision makers, the MIEWS system will help in
- Monitoring of supply situation for timely market intervention
- Assist in rapid response in times of glut to move produce from glut regions to deficit/consuming regions and
- Providing inputs for export/import decision making.
The salient features of the MIEWS portal include:
- The MIEWS Dashboard and Portal is a ‘first-of-its-kind’ platform for ‘real time monitoring’ of prices of tomato, onion and potato (TOP) and for simultaneously generating alerts for intervention under the terms of the Operation Greens(OG) scheme.
- The portal would disseminate all relevant information related to TOP crops such as Prices and Arrivals, Area, Yield and Production, Imports and Exports, Crop Calendars, Crop Agronomy, etc in an easy to use visual format.
- A dashboard that would indicate low price and high price alerts as well as price forecasts for 3 month forward
- Prices and arrivals of TOP crops across the country including interactive charts and comparisons with previous seasons
- Regular and special reports on the market situation of the TOP crops.
- The portal will have public and private sections into which the aforementioned features would be divided. Sections like Prices and arrivals, Area, yield and production, Crop Agronomy and Trade Profile would be accessible to the public while the regular and special market intelligence reports and price forecasts would be accessible only to the policymakers.
- The MIEWS database currently contains over 4 years of historical data from Agmarknet and Agriwatch for each of the TOP crops.
|A brief note on Operation Greens|
In the budget speech of Union Budget 2018-19, a new Scheme “Operation Greens” was announced on the line of “Operation Flood”, with an outlay of Rs.500 crore to promote Farmer Producers Organizations (FPOs), agri-logistics, processing facilities and professional management. Accordingly, the Ministry has formulated a scheme for integrated development of Tomato, Onion and Potato (TOP) value chain.
Objectives of Operation Green