under the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986. he Government of India promulgated “Manufacture, Storage, and Import of Hazardous Chemicals (MSIHC) Rules, 1989” The Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) or the State Pollution Control Boards/ Pollution Control Committees have been identified as the authority for enforcement of directions and procedures in respect of isolated storage of hazardous chemicals and import of hazardous chemicals and enforcement of directions and procedures on import of hazardous chemicals.
MSIHC Rules, 1989
- Prevent Chemical Accidents from industrial activities.
- Mitigate impacts of chemical accidents.
684 Hazardous Chemicals are covered based on
- Mandatory prior notification of sites and approval of Chief Inspector of Factories (CIF) for industrial activity.
- Prior notice of import to Chief Controller Imports and Exports (now DGFT).
- Major Accident Hazard (MAH) Unit: handling 179 chemicals in quantities above prescribed threshold amounts.
- Preparation of on-site plans by the occupier and off-site emergency plans by the district authorities.
- Preparation of Safety Data Sheets (SDS) by manufacturers.
- Disclosure of necessary information to the public in the neighborhood by occupier.
- Occupier to arrange third party safety audits.
- Notify major chemical accidents to prescribed authorities.