Union Minister of Development of North Eastern Region, Jitendra Singh, inaugurated the Mansar Lake Development Plan in Jammu and Kashmir.
- e-Foundation stone laying ceremony of the Comprehensive Mansar Lake Rejuvenation/Development Plan was held.
- After its implementation, the number of tourists/pilgrims is estimated to increase from 10 lakhs to 20 lakhs per year in Mansar region.
- It would lead to employment generation of about 1.15 crore man-days and generate more than Rs 800 crore of income per year.
- Though tourism contributed 7 percent of GDP of Jammu and Kashmir, due to Corona, the sector got hit badly.
- The Mansar plan is to provide relief to people associated with Tourism industry on a large scale.
About Mansar lake:
- Mansar Lake is a Ramsar site situated in Jammu and Kashmir.
- It is a holy site, sharing the legend and sanctity of Lake Manasarovar.
- On the Eastern Bank of the Lake there is a shrine to Sheshnag (a snake with six heads).