In News: Recently, Malabar Civet was found on the streets of Kerala in the backdrop of lockdown due to COVID-19 Pandemic.
About Malabar Civet
- One of the world’s rarest mammal
- Malabar Civet is a nocturnal and elusive animal.
- It is endemic to Western Ghats of India.
- Civetone extract from the scent gland used in medicine, and in perfumes.
- Wooded plains and hill slopes of evergreen rainforests
- Lowland forests, lowland swamp and riparian forests in the coastal plain districts of the Western Ghats
- Habitat destruction and Hunting.
- Commercial Plantations .
- IUCN Red List: Critically Endangered.
- Wildlife (Protection) Act,1972: Schedule I
- CITES: Appendix III