Recently, Convergence Energy Services Limited (CESL) and Ladakh signed an MoU to make the Union Territory carbon neutral
Key highlights of the MoU
- Under the MoU, various clean energy and energy efficiency programmes will be implemented
- Beginning with a pilot in the Zanskar valley area, CESL will take up solar mini and micro grid solutions, energy efficient lighting, energy storage-based solutions, efficient cooking stoves and electric mobility solutions in the UT.
- CESL will come up with clean solutions for home appliances, electric heating, cooking, pump sets for Ladakh’s very cold temperatures.
- CESL will be able to eliminate fossil fuel in furtherance of Ladakh’s carbon neutral goal and provide clean energy access to the farthest hamlets of the region.
- CESL will build the EV ecosystem for the UT, focusing on EV charging infrastructure which will utilize renewable sources of power, and electric vehicles (EVs) that are being tested for high altitudes.
- Like all CESL’s projects, this programme will also be based on innovative business models, using carbon credits.
- The Administration of UT of Ladakh will support CESL with investment in projects, including the pilot, and will also assist in business development of various clean energy and sustainability programmes of Convergence.
- Based on the feasibility and outcomes of the programme in Zanskar, other areas will be assigned to CESL.
- The Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council, Kargil/Leh, will provide the requisite land in respective council areas, for the implementation of the clean energy projects.
- With this MoU, CESL and the Ladakh administration intend to implement renewable, energy efficiency, and electric mobility projects that will go a long way in saving Ladakh’s environment
Convergence Energy Services Limited (CESL), a wholly owned subsidiary of Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) under the Ministry of Power, is a new energy company focused on delivering clean, affordable and reliable energy. Convergence focuses on energy solutions that lie at the confluence of renewable energy, electric mobility and climate change.