About the meeting-
- The MEF meeting was aimed at galvanising actions that are to strengthen energy security and tackle the climate crisis thereby building momentum for COP27.
- The meeting was attended by 23 major economies across the world and the Secretary General of the United Nations.
- The MEF leaders shared the initiatives being taken by them to deliver on their respective climate change commitments.
- The Indian Minister emphasised that India’s initiatives go beyond its borders, including the International Solar Alliance, and the Coalition for Disaster Resilience Infrastructure.
- He mentioned that India has already installed 159 GW of non-fossil fuel based electricity generation capacity and during the last 7.5 years, India’s installed solar energy capacity has increased over 18 times.
- He highlighted that India’s annual per capita emissions are only a third of the global average and its cumulative GHG emissions are less than 4 percent, but India’s climate targets are ambitious and reflect its commitment to the global good.
- The Union Minister called upon the members of MEF to launch a global movement on LIFE i.e. Lifestyle for Environment as espoused by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi at the COP26 in Glasgow.
What is MEF?
It was launched on March 28, 2009. The MEF is intended to facilitate a candid dialogue among major developed and developing economies, help generate the political leadership necessary to achieve a successful outcome at the December UN climate change conference in Copenhagen, and advance the exploration of concrete initiatives and joint ventures that increase the supply of clean energy while cutting greenhouse gas emissions.