In news : Recently, the Prime Minister of India to inaugurate ‘Maitri Setu’ between India and Bangladesh
About Maitri Setu( bridge)
- It has been built over the Feni river between Tripura and Bangladesh.
- Its name symbolizes growing bilateral relations and friendly ties between India and Bangladesh.
- The bridge spanning 1.9 kilometres joins Sabroom in India with Ramgarh in Bangladesh.
- National Highways and Infrastructure Development Corporation Ltd has helmed the construction of the bridge at a project cost of Rs.133 crore.
- The bridge is poised to herald a new chapter for trade and people to people movement between India and Bangladesh.
- With this inauguration, Tripura is set to become the ‘Gateway of North East’ with access to Chittagong Port of Bangladesh, which is just 80 km from Sabroom
- It is a river in southeastern Bangladesh and Tripura state of India.
- It is a trans-boundary river with an ongoing dispute about water rights.
- It originates in South Tripura district and flows through Sabroom town and then enters Bangladesh.
Kaman Aman Setu
- Aman Setu was damaged by the October 8, 2005 earthquake when a mountain on the Pakistani side caved in.
- The rebuilt Aman Setu bridge on the Line of Control (LoC) was inaugurated in 2006
Stilwell road(original name Ledo Road)
- This highway is 769 km long that links northeastern India with the Burma Road (q.v.), which runs from Burma to China.
- During World War II the Stilwell Road was a strategic military route.