Ministry of Women and Child Development has approved a new scheme namely Mahila Shakti Kendra for implementation during 2017-18 up to 2019-20 to empower rural women through community participation.
Ministry: Under Ministry of Women and Child Development.
About Mahila Shakti Kendra Scheme
- It aims to provide an interface for rural women to approach the government for availing their entitlements and for empowering them through training and capacity building.
- The scheme has been approved for implementation in 23 States /UTs.
- PMMSK Block level initiatives: Under it, community engagement is envisioned in 117 most backward districts through Student Volunteers.
Provisions under Scheme
- Community engagement through College Student Volunteers is envisioned in 115 aspirational districts as part of the Block Level initiatives.
- Student volunteers are to play an instrumental role in awareness generation regarding various important government schemes/ programmes as well as social issues.
- District Level Centre for Women (DLCW) has also been envisaged for 640 districts to be covered in phased manner.
- These centres serve as a link between village, block and state level in facilitating women centric schemes and also give a foothold for Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) scheme at the district level.
- It is implemented with a cost sharing ratio of 60:40 between centre and states except for North East and Special Category States where the ratio is 90:10.