Source: Press Information Bureau
To empower women by enhancing their participation in agriculture and to create sustainable livelihood opportunities for them
- To create sustainable agricultural livelihood opportunities for women in agriculture.
- To enhance the participation of women in agriculture in a productive manner
- To enhance the marginal capacities of women in agriculture for better management of biodiversity
- To improve the skills and capabilities of women in agriculture to support farm and non-farm based activities
- To enable women to have better access to inputs and services of the government and other agencies
- To improve the capacities of women in agriculture to access the resources of other institutions and schemes within a convergence framework
Agriculture sector employs 80% of all economically active women; they comprise 33% of the agricultural labour force and 48% of self employed farmers. About 18% of the farm families in India, according to NSSO Reports are reported to be headed by women
Under NRLM, the core agenda of MKSP is to
- Create sustainable livelihood institutions around agriculture and allied activities
- Create sector-specific geography-specific best package of practices and
- Create a wide pool of community resource persons for scaling up livelihood interventions in the entire country
- MKSP will be implemented as a sub-component of NRLM through specially formulated projects. Under NRLM, provision has been made to invite project proposals for Skill Development and Placement.
- MKSP recognizes the centrality of women in agriculture and therefore aims to provide direct and indirect support to enable them to achieve sustainable agriculture production.
- It mainly focuses on strengthening community institutions of poor women farmers, and leveraging their strengths to promote sustainable agriculture.
- Funding: Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD) would provide funding support of up to 75% (90% for North East and hill states) to the project submitted by the State Governments/PIAs under MKSP. Balance is to be contributed by the respective state governments or any other donor agencies, national and international.
- Implementation: The program is being implemented by NRLM in partnership with State Departments/CSO as implementing partners.
- Themes under it are:
- Sustainable Agriculture
- Non Timber Forest Produce