The Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare organized Mahila Kisan Diwas on 15th October
Highlights of the event
- During this event, the Union Agriculture Minister released an e-book on ‘Inspiring Stories of Progressive Women Farmers’ was released
- The Minister also launched two short films on ‘Mahila Krishak and her Contribution in Agriculture’ and ‘Global Examples of Successful Women Farmers’.
International Day of Rural Women
The theme for this International Day of Rural Women is “Building rural women’s resilience in the wake of COVID-19,”
Some facts about rural women
- Rural women – a quarter of the world’s population – work as farmers, wage earners, and entrepreneurs.
- Less than 20% of landholders worldwide are women. In rural areas, the gender pay gap is as high as 40%.
- Reducing the gap in labour force participation rates between men and women by 25% by the year 2025 could raise global GDP by 3.9%.