In news: Bharatiya Kisan Union (BKU) leader Rakesh Tikait has organized Raitha Mahapanchayat in shivamogga(Karnataka), where his father Mahendra Singh Tikait had participated in a meeting of Kudremukh Ulisi in the place in January 2000.
A brief note on Raitha Mahapanchayat & Shivamogga
- The Shivamogga city is hosting the first Raitha Mahapanchayat of southern India
- The sam city gave birth to farmers’ movements and the Dalit struggle
- Shivamogga has a long history of people’s movements. The raitha sangha took birth in the district and attracted nationwide attention with the Kagodu Satyagraha in 1951.
- That movement prompted many senior socialist leaders, including Ram Manohar Lohia, to visit the place. With that, the socialist movement also received significant support in the district.
- In later years, the struggles of seeking grant of land for the landless tenants put pressure on the governments to bring in pro-farmer laws.
- Dalit Sangharsha Samiti took birth in Shivamogga under the leadership of M. Krishnappa, who was teaching in a college at Bhadravati.
- Besides this, Shivamogga has always been at the forefront in pro-environment struggles. Writers, activists and intellectuals actively participated in the Kudremukh Ulisi (Save Kudremukh) movement.
- Rakesh Tikait’s father Mahendra Singh Tikait had participated in a meeting of Kudremukh Ulisi in Shivamogga in January 2000.
About Mahendra Singh Tikait
- He was an Indian farmer leader from the state of Uttar Pradesh, India
- Birth: He was born in 1935 at village Sisauli in Muzaffarnagar District of Uttar Pradesh.
- Party: President, Bharatiya Kisan Union
Role in Farmers related movements
- Tikait first became a significant figure in 1987 when he organised a campaign in Muzaffarnagar demanding the waiving of electricity bills for farmers
- Boat Club Rally, Delhi: This rally took place in 1988 demanding higher prices for sugarcane and the waiving of electricity and water charges for farmers, which was agreed by then Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi
- Protest in Lucknow-1990-92: Against U.P government, demanded higher price for Sugarcane and heavy rebates in electricity dues. And also demanded for writing off farmers’ loans up to Rs 10,000