In News: The Union Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship has launched the Mahatma Gandhi National Fellowship in association with nine IIMs of the country.
What is the Gandhi Fellowship?
- Gandhi Fellowship is an experiential 2-year residential fellowship course in transformational leadership.
- For the last 10 years, Gandhi Fellowship has empowered young women and men to groom themselves into change leaders who go on to create large-scale social and public systems change, where each fellow is fueled by the philosophy of “Build Self, Build Nation”.
- The program is designed to bring out one’s entrepreneurial thinking and leadership skills in order to create lasting changes in society.
About Mahatma Gandhi National Fellowship (MGNF)
- MGNF is a Certificate Program in Public Policy and Management offered by IIMs.
- It has been designed at the initiative of the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE), Government of India (GoI) and implemented in collaboration with State Skill Development Missions (SSDMs).
- Upon successful completion of the programme requirements, the Fellows will be awarded the Certificate of Public Policy and Management
- Designed under SANKALP the fellowship aims to address the challenge of non-availability of personnel for implementation of various programmes at national, state and district levels.
- The MGNF programme has an in-built component of on-ground practical experience with the district administration.
- It is launched on a pilot basis in 75 districts across Gujarat, Karnataka, Meghalaya, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand.
- Eligible fellows for the programme have to be in the 21-30 years age-group, have a graduation degree from a recognized university and be citizens of India.
- Proficiency in the official language of state of fieldwork will be mandatory.
- Its unique design will allow the Fellows to take academic learning at IIM Bangalore and use it in the field under faculty mentorship with the goal of understanding challenges and barriers that the district ecosystem faces in fostering growth and development.
- Should be a citizen of India
- Age between 21-30 years at the time of application
- At least a graduate in any discipline (Engineering, Law, Medicine, Social Sciences, etc.) from a recognized university or a postgraduate from a recognized university.
- Three years of work experience after secondary schooling in the social/non-profit sector with an interest in working in rural areas is preferred. However, individuals with no work experience and a strong motivation to work in this area may apply.
- Should be able to express proficiency in the local language of the state that they will work in.