In news– The Prime Minister has paid tributes to Maharishi Valmiki on the occasion of Valmiki Jayanti.
A brief note on Maharishi Valmiki-
- Valmiki Jayanti is also known as Pragat Diwas.
- It is celebrated every year on the full moon day (15th day) of Shukla Paksha in the Ashwin month, as per the Hindu calendar.
- It’s said that Maharishi Valmiki was born on Ashwin Purnima as per the Hindu lunar calendar.
- Valmiki was born as Agni Sharma to a Brahmin named Pracheta (also known as Sumali) of Bhrigu gotra.
- Maharishi Valmiki is also called the Adi Kavi or the first poet in the Sanskrit language.
- He is also responsible for writing the first-ever Sanskrit shlokas.
- It is believed that Maharishi Valmiki, who lived in Treta Yug, learned the story of Lord Rama from Narad Muni, and under his guidance, he wrote the epic Ramayana.
- The Ramayana, originally written by Valmiki, consists of 24,000 shlokas and seven cantos (kandas).
- He is also believed to be the author of Yoga Vasistha, a text that elaborates on a range of philosophical issues.
- Vishnudharmottara Purana says that Valmiki reincarnated as Tulsidas, who composed the Ramcharitamanas, which was the Awadhi-Hindi version of the Ramayana.