Why in news?
It is a new drug developed by DRDO for leucoderma.
- Leucoderma also called vitiligo, is a skin and autoimmune disorder.
- Autoimmune disorders occur when the body’s tissue and organs are attacked by the immune system.
- Because of the lack of melanin in the skin (a pigment in the blood), Vitiligo is a skin disease in which pale white spots appear on the face.
- It is either infectious or life-threatening (i.e. it will not spread through direct contact with the affected person).
- Patients with leucoderma are also vulnerable to iris inflammation, hearing loss and sunburn.
- This affects roughly 4-5% in India.
- The occurrence is as high as 5-8 percent in some areas of Rajasthan and Gujarat.
- Leucoderma (skin disorder) is regarded in India as a social stigma where it is confused with leprosy (a bacteria-inflammatory disease).