In News: Recently,The famous Lingaraj temple in Bhubaneswar has been restricted for public entry after a substantial number of Covid-19 positive cases were found among the sebayats of the temple.
About Lingaraja Temple
- Lingaraj Temple, built in 11th century AD, is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is considered as the largest temple of the city Bhubaneswar.
- Shiva is honoured at the Lingaraja Temple.
- King Jajati Keshari of Soma Vansh built it.
- It is constructed of red stone and is a prime example of Kalinga architecture.
- Bindusagar Lake is located to the north of the temple
- The temple contains Vishnu images, probably as a result of the Jagannath sect’s rising popularity, which stems from the Ganga rulers who founded the Jagannath Temple in Puri in the 12th century.
- An important aspect of the temple is that it signifies the syncretisation of Shaivism and Vaishnavism sects in Odisha.Perhaps the rising cult of Lord Jagannath (considered an incarnation of Lord Vishnu) which coincided with the completion of the Lingaraja Temple had a role to play.The presiding deity in the Temple is known as Hari-Hara; Hari denotes Lord Vishnu and Hara meaning Lord Shiva.
- The temple is divided into four sections―Garbh Griha (sanctum sanctorum), Yajna Shala (the hall for prayers), Bhoga Mandap (the hall of offering) and the Natya Shala (hall of dance).