In news– Recently, the Union Minister for Environment Forest and Climate Change virtually participated in the Like Minded Developing Countries (LMDC) Ministerial meeting titled ‘Preparations for COP 26 on Climate Change – Expectations and Challenges’.
The ministerial level Like-Minded Developing Countries group-
- This meeting has been hosted by the Plurinational State of Bolivia ahead of the crucial upcoming 26th climate change conference to be held in Glasgow, UK from October 31 to November 12, 2021.
- A ministerial statement was endorsed by the LMDC Ministers during the meeting, expressing their full support for the COP26 Presidency.
Like-Minded Developing Countries(LMDC) group-
- LMDC comprises around 25 developing countries from Asia and other regions.
- It is a group of developing countries who organise themselves as a block of negotiators in international organizations such as the United Nations, they represent more than 50% of the world’s population.
- The member countries of the Like Minded Group are Algeria, Bangladesh, Belarus, Bhutan, China, Cuba, Egypt, India, Indonesia, Iran, Malaysia, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria, Vietnam, and Zimbabwe.
26th Conference of Parties (COP26)
- The 2021 United Nations Climate Change Conference, also known as COP26, is the 26th United Nations Climate Change conference.
- It is scheduled to be held in the city of Glasgow, Scotland, between 31 October and 12 November 2021, under the presidency of the United Kingdom.
- The conference comes months after the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) published its assessment report on Earth’s climate, highlighting heat waves, droughts, extreme rainfall and sea-level rise in the coming decades.
- The Conference of Parties comes under the United Nations Climate Change Framework Convention (UNFCCC) which was formed in 1994.
- The UNFCCC was established to work towards “stabilisation of greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere.”
Four Goals of COP26
- Secure global net-zero by mid-century and keep 1.5 degrees within reach.
- Adapt to protect communities and natural habitats.
- Mobilise finance.
- Work together to deliver.