What is it?
- The LEADs index is a composite indicator to assess international trade logistics across States/UTs based on stakeholders’ survey conducted by Deloitte for Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- It is calculated based on eight parameters such as infrastructure, services, timeliness, track and trace, competitiveness of pricing, safety of cargo, operating environment and regulatory process.
- LEADS is loosely based on World Bank’s biannual Logistics Performance Index (LPI) on which India was ranked 35 among 160 countries in 2016, up from 54 in 2014.
- It aims to serve as an indicator of efficiency of logistical services necessary for promoting exports in particular and economic growth in general.
- The top ranking state in the logistics sector is Gujarat followed by Punjab and Andhra Pradesh.
- Among the hilly Eastern States Tripura is the top performer and among Union Territories (UTs) Chandigarh was selected as the best performing UT.