In news– The Union Minister of Commerce and Industry has released a report on the Logistics Ease Across Different States Index (LEADS) 2021 recently.
About the index
- LEADS report ranks the states on the basis of their logistics ecosystem, highlights the key logistics related challenges faced by the stakeholders and includes suggestive recommendations.
- Within the North Eastern States and Himalayan Region, Jammu and Kashmir is the top ranker followed by Sikkim and Meghalaya.
- Delhi stands at the top rank among Other UTs.
- LEADS report of 2018 focused on export-import trade and assessed the efficiency of the logistics ecosystem in each State and UT.
- LEADS report 2019 had covered both international and domestic trade.
- Being the 3rd report in series, LEADS 2021 exercise has gone one-step ahead in analysing the domestic and EXIM logistics ecosystem of the state.
- Specifically, two improvements have been done in the overall assessment framework.
- Firstly, the objective parameters in the LEADS 2021 Index have been introduced by way of an objective survey instrument administered to the States/UTs and by the inclusion of secondary datasets on logistics across the State/UT level.
- Secondly, the statistical methodologies to build the index have been updated to get more robust results, given change in the overall framework.
- The perception survey was administered to the four different categories of logistics stakeholders, viz. traders/ shippers, transport service providers, terminal operators, and logistics service providers.
- With the efforts in the right direction, it is hoped that the vision of logistics cost will be reduced by 5% in the next five years.
It suggests the states frame State Logistics policy & Logistics Master Plan, use single-window clearance system for logistics establishment of grievance redressal mechanism and enable skilling in logistics through State skilling infrastructure.