In news- India is expected to see the launch of the light combat aircraft Tejas (LCA)-Mk2 in August 2022.
- Tejas (LCA) -Mk2 is a 4.5 generation, single-engine multirole fighter designed by Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) and Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).
- The high-agility supersonic fighter aircraft is made of lightweight materials like aluminium, lithium and titanium alloys, and carbon composites, etc.
- It is 1,350 mm longer featuring canards and can carry a payload of 6,500 kg.
- The fighter jet has a tailless compound delta-wing configuration with high manoeuvrability.
- The aircraft will also be equipped with a multi-sensor data fusion system including an active electronically scanned array radar, infrared search and track, and a missile approach warning system.
- For the first time, an onboard oxygen generation system is being integrated into the aircraft.
- Heavy weapons of the class of Scalp, Crystal Maze and Spice-2000 will also be integrated on the Mk2.
- The configuration is frozen and the steel cutting begins soon.
- Fitted with a heavier GE 414 engine, it is expected to join the Indian Air Force by 2026.