In news– Recently, the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has approved the construction of 540 Megawatt Kwar Hydro Electric project located on river Chenab in Kishtwar district of Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir.
About the project-
- The project shall generate 1975.54 million units in a 90% dependable year.
- It shall be commissioned within a span of 54 months.
- The Power generated from the Project will help in balancing the Grid and will improve the power supply position.
- To make the project viable, the Gov of UT of J&K will extend exemption from levy of water usage charges for 10 years after commissioning the project.
- The project will be implemented by M/s. Chenab Valley Power Projects Private Limited (M/s. CVPPL) a joint venture company between NHPC and JKSPDC with equity contribution of 51% and 49% respectively.
- The company has been entrusted with the construction of hydropower projects on a build, own, operate and maintain (BOOM) basis with an aggregate installed capacity of 3,094 MW.
- The Chenab River is a major river that flows in India and Pakistan, and is one of the 5 major rivers of the Punjab region.
- It is formed by the union of two headwaters, Chandra and Bhaga, which rise in the upper Himalayas in the Lahaul and Spiti district of Himachal Pradesh, India.
- It flows west through Jammu and Kashmir union territory between the steep cliffs of the Shiwalik Range (south) and the Lesser Himalayas (north).