KUSUM (Kisan Urja Suraksha Evam Utthaan Mahaabhiyan)
With an aim to promote use of solar power among farmers, central government has launched the scheme, KUSUM (Kisan Urja Suraksha Evam Utthaan Mahaabhiyan).
Objective of the Scheme:
The main aim of this scheme is to prove the farmers with advanced technology to generate power. The solar pumps will not only assist to irrigate the farms but also allow to generate safe energy. Due to the presence of the Energy Power Grid, the Farmers will be able to sell the extra energy directly to the Power Supply Companies. It will provide them with extra income as well. So, this scheme will bring double benefits.
Features of the Scheme:
- The successful operation of this program will be able to help the farmers not only in meeting their power related requirements, but also able to earn some extra money by selling excess power.
- Construction of Plants on infertile land only
- Distribution of solar power pumps
- Power Generation on small scale
- Power generation from tube- wells
- Sale of Excess Power
Duration of the Scheme:
Current estimates state that for the successful completion of this elaborate scheme, the central govt. will have to work for at least 10 years.
Subsidy Structure of the Scheme:
As per the draft, each farmer will get huge subsidy on new and improved solar powered pumps. The farmers will have to tolerate only 10% of the total expenditure to acquire an install a solar pumps. The Central Govt. will provide 60% cost while the remaining 30% will be taken care of by bank as credit.
Components of the Scheme:
- Solar Pumps Distribution
- construction of Solar Power Factory
- Setting up tube – wells: It deals with the setting up of unique tube – wells, under the watchful eyes of the central government, which will also a certain amount of power.